Lost & Found Dogs

Stray and abandoned dogs are picked up by facility staff or are brought in to the facility by concerned citizens. We do not take owner-surrender animals. The only animals that we are able to accept are dogs that have been located in the unincorporated areas of Benton County. All animals that come to the facility are checked for a micro chip and evaluated for injury and disease.  In rare cases, an animal may be humanely euthanized due to aggression, severe injury or illness.

If You Have Lost A Pet

If you have a lost pet, call us to report that your pet is lost; our staff keeps a lost and found log. You will need to check our lost and found log daily for your pet. Since animal descriptions are subjective, it is best for owners to come to the facility in person to identify their dog. You can also check the newspaper, craigslist.com and petfinder.com to see if your dog has been found. 

There is a bulletin board at our facility for lost animal ads/pictures should you wish to post a photo of your missing pet. We hold each animal for a minimum of 72 hours to give the owners a chance to claim their pet. If the animal is not claimed by their owner within 72 hours, the animal is then put up for adoption. 

Benton County Canine Control charges an impound fee, as outlined in Benton County Ordinance No. 483. We can only accept cash in the exact amount or checks when claiming your pet.  Please see the link above for the County ordinance/impound fee. 

If You Find A Stray Dog

If you have found a stray dog within the unincorporated area of Benton County, you can bring it to our shelter facility within 3 business days. If you choose to care for the dog while looking for the owners, you must still report that to us within 3 business days or we cannot accept the animal. Benton County Canine Control does not accept  any stray dogs that were located within the city limits of any incorporated city within Benton County

If you have found a dog in an incorporated city, please see the list below for links to the appropriate contact.


  • If the dog was located within the city limits of West Richland, please contact the City of West Richland Animal Control 

  • If the dog was located within the city limits of Benton City, please contact the City of Benton City Code Enforcement/Animal Control Program by utilizing the link listed below.

  • If the dog was located within the city limits of Prosser, please contact the City of Prosser Animal Control Department by utilizing the link listed below.

    Benton County    620 Market Street    Prosser, Washington 99350
    Phone: (509) 786-5710 or (509) 783-1310
    Site Map   |   Employment   |   Powered by MunicipalCMS
    E-notify RSS Feeds Twitter Facebook