Code Enforcement

To make a complaint or request investigation, use this form: 

Officer Dale Wilson
(509) 222-2301

Benton County Code Enforcement

Washington's state and local governments have enacted various building and zoning codes to protect your life, health, and property. If you suspect that a building or zoning violation is occurring, you can file a Request for Investigation. After you file the Request for Investigation, the Code Enforcement Officer will verify that the complaint is a valid code violation within his jurisdiction.  The County has the authority to fine the owner and to issue civil or criminal citations if the owner is unwilling to comply with the applicable Benton County Code.

The Benton County Code can be found HERE. Zoning Codes are in Chapter 11. Each zone (Rural Lands 5, Urban Growth Area, etc.) has its own allowed uses and rules. If you need to determine which zone a property is in, you can use the Zoning Map HERE or call the Planning Department at (509) 786-5612.

Please fill out as much information as you can on the Investigation Form.  If you need help finding the address, parcel number or owner information, you can contact the Benton County Assessor’s Office at (509) 736-3088. 

If you request it on the form, your name will be kept confidential.  However, please be aware that if this action is taken to court anything provided to Code Enforcement will become public information. 

What types of violations does Code Enforcement handle?

The following types of violations should be referred to the Benton County Code Enforcement Officer using a Request for Investigation Form:

  • Zoning code violations
  • Dangerous buildings
  • Illegal placement of mobile homes
  • Oversized and illegally placed signs
  • Right of way construction
  • Construction without a permit
  • Grading/excavation/filling
  • Junk cars
  • Shoreline Violations
  • Other land use violations, hazards or nuisances

If my issue isn't one of the Code Enforcement matters listed above, who do I call?

Benton Franklin Health District 
(509) 460-4200

  • On-site sewage (septic) system questions or concerns
  • Wells
  • Animal Carcasses on property (not in the road)
  • Garbage/rodent problems
  • Environmental health problems/concerns

Benton County Fire Marshal 
(509) 735-3500 (option 6)

  • Dry vegetation
  • Overgrown weeds
  • Other fire hazards

Benton County Public Works (Roads) Department 
(509) 786-5611

  • Road drainage and maintenance
  • Traffic signs
  • Obstructions in the County right of way

Benton County Sheriff
Non-Emergency Number: (509) 628-0333
Emergencies: 9-1-1

  • Noise problems/trespassing,
  • Public disturbance
  • Loud noise
  • Potentially dangerous animals
  • Abandoned vehicles

Benton Clean Air Agency 
Residential Burn Line: (509) 783-6198 
Agricultural Burn Line: (509) 783-6570
Complaint Line (Ext 1): (509) 783-1304

  • Blowing (Fugitive) Dust Complaints
  • Burn Days and outdoor burning information

When calling the burn line you will need to know if your property is outside or inside of the Urban Growth Area (UGA).  To find out if your property is in the UGA please call the Planning Department at (509) 786-5612.


    Benton County    620 Market Street    Prosser, Washington 99350
    Phone: (509) 786-5710 or (509) 783-1310
    Site Map   |   Employment   |   Powered by MunicipalCMS
    E-notify RSS Feeds Twitter Facebook