Solid Waste


The Public Services Building in Kennewick that houses Public Works, Solid Waste, Planning, and the Building Department is open during our normal business hours with proper safety and social distancing measures in place. 

Welcome to the Benton County
Solid Waste Program information page!

The intent of this page is to provide waste disposal information and assistance to residents of Benton County, Washington. We appreciate your desire to dispose of waste in a responsible manner, and we want to do what we can to provide you with the knowledge and tools to do just that. Below are some highlights of the information available on this site, use the links on the left to get even more specific information. 

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Disposal Events:
Over the past several years, Benton County has teamed up with Clean Harbors Environmental Services to put on Household Hazardous Waste collection events annually.  These events are typically held in the spring and fall and are First Come, First Served. The Saturday events are for Residential waste only.  You may be asked to verify proof of residence within Benton County.  Please have your WA State ID or WA State Driver's License available.  

If you are interested in options available for a Small Business please contact the office either by phone; (509) 736-3084 or (509) 786-5611, by email; [email protected], for information on how to sign up.  You can also click on the Small Businesses - Small Quantity Generators link on your Sidebar or the link on the bottom of this page. 

Due to the County's response to COVID-19, the April 18, 2020 Household Hazardous Waste collection event was canceled. We will be allowed to hold an event when we reach Phase 3 in Governor Inslee's Safe Start plan. 



What is "hazardous waste"?
Hazardous waste is anything that (1) might cause harm or damage if handled incorrectly, such as mercury or certain cleaners; or (2)  might leach into the water table if put into our landfills, such as liquid fertilizers, some liquid cleaners, antifreeze, and used oil. Some waste is too dangerous for Benton County's HHW collection events. These include, but are not limited to, ammunition, radioactive materials, and asbestos. Such waste will need specialized handling.  You should contact a company who is licensed and trained in their handling.

Even more questions are answered on our FAQ's page. 

Green Living Resources
The City of Richland has put together some great resources on energy saving and green living tips.
Here are some of their handouts:
 Energy Savings Tips Handbook  Energy Savings Using Trees         Lighting Tips
 Appliance Tips  Heating and Cooling Tips  Summer Energy Savings Tips
 Appliance Operating Costs    Hot Water Usage Tips  Winter Energy Savings Tips
 Cooking Tips  Leaky Ducts Tips  Trees Save Energy

To learn more about the City of Kennewick's garbage collection and recycling options, you can go to the City of Kennewick Utilities (Garbage & Recycling) 

The City of Prosser also has information about their garbage and recycling services on their website.

Solid Waste Advisory Committee (SWAC) 

UPDATE: Due to the current pandemic, SWAC meetings are being done virtually until further notice. Anyone is welcome to participate and can do so by emailing their interest to [email protected] Once a meeting is scheduled, you will be provided with a link to join online.

The Benton County Solid Waste Advisory Committee (SWAC) is comprised of representatives from each of the cities in Benton County, the Washington State Department of Ecology, the Benton-Franklin Health District, and local refuse and recycling companies.

The meetings are open to the public and are held on the fourth Wednesday of each month at the Ben Franklin Transit office building, 1000 Columbia Park Trail, Richland, Washington, at 3:30 pm. If you have a question about the Committee or the meetings, please contact us! 
You can find more information on the SWAC on the Solid Waste Program Governance page. 


Benton County    620 Market Street    Prosser, Washington 99350
Phone: (509) 786-5710 or (509) 783-1310
Site Map   |   Employment   |   Powered by MunicipalCMS
E-notify RSS Feeds Twitter Facebook